Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Meditations on Tears (Two Poems)

Rainwater slides
off the skin
of an apple.

I collect
the liquid
in my hands,

Bring it up
to my mouth,
drink it in.

How bitter
it tastes.
How unsatisfying.
-------------------------
1. The speaker turns
into the real step,
as lost as words, days,
genuine flesh,
the unfamiliarity
of that glow a divinity,
holy, but maintained
by identity.

2. The good flesh gone
may be described
as longing. It basks
in magical, mystical
assertion. A child's
naive sense of eternity
is the heart of loss,
holds within it veiled
tenderness.
It leaves the joy of grief.
We cannot disrupt this.

2 comments:

P.B. said...

I like the first one a lot, Sam. I like the line breaks. I like the simple language. I like the end, surprising almost amusing but finally not.

It's the second one that is still giving me some trouble. I don't get it. I've turned it over and over but still have no idea what you're talking about. The only advice I can offer is to read it aloud to yourself. Lines like:

The speaker turns
into the real step...

if you stopped right there (and you do because of the comma of course) then it reads like nonsense. Perhaps punctuating it differently may help?

Great to see you posting again. We've missed you. Thanks!

Taidgh Lynch said...

too much trouble with the net tonight or today depending on what you consider the time.

first off, thanks for this, i loved it. the opening stanza was the best

Rainwater slides
off the skin
of an apple.

wonderful!

the real step is a little off putting though, and i tried to figure this out, but i'm still clueless. sorry. Overall, I really enjoyed this, cheers!

Legal Stuff

All works posted here are under the sole and exclusive ownership of the author or artist. Do not reproduce or otherwise copy any work on this site without the expressed written consent of the author or artist.

§ P.B. Adams, Webmaster