Sunday, May 5, 2013

Postcards


This piece has aggravated me long enough that I don't think I can improve it without some of your thoughts. Much obliged for whatever you might share. 

While you were sleeping
I saw a glinting on troubled
seas as failing moonlight
flickered along cresting
waves while rising strains
of the new day
played upon my back.
The wind spun,
the whole earth shifted,
great white birds danced
between the evanescing
stars and coming storm.

While daylight subdued
darkness, I watched
caught between the two,
unsure of day or year,
whether the living
world had invaded dreams
or just enthralled
by some rapturous
vision hanging on
ending in postcards
from the world delivered
before the storm—

from swollen Nile, smoky green
crocodile demurely lurking
near the livid bull elephants
solemnly plodding past wild
beach-grasses and tanned
parched ranges where Chinese
waterfalls sprang and rippling
down Japanese watercolor
mountains slate mixed with purple
on periwinkle rice paper.

Marine winds and a gathering
storm would seem poor
letter carriers for this world
at bottom rock hard
inviting us to revel
falling through bottomless
desires in dazzling
flash along that garden path
to love for a moment
while the forgetting is so long,
the mending so lonely.

We wake, wiser
perhaps,
fractured souls
still the bones
remain uncracked
and hearts cannot stop
however deep the sorrow.
Every postcard tells a story

that must surrender
as fog, rain, soundless drizzle,
puddle.

2 comments:

Taidgh Lynch said...

Well I do enjoy your postcard images. Really vivid and full of colour and life.

I can't help but think that perhaps the postcard idea or even the word should take a little more prominence. Perhaps in the first stanza, though you do introduce the word and the images later on and then you mention that every postcard tells a story at the end.

I really like this part: enthralled by some rapturous vision hanging on ending in postcards from the world delivered before the storm—

perhaps what I hear are two messages or themes trying to get out and I'm not certain what is the overriding feeling or meaning in some parts. The ending stanza also seems to be a little out of sync with the rest of the poem.

Thanks for sharing. I really did enjoy it - especially the sound and the dreamlike images. Cheers!

P.B. said...

Thanks very much, my friend. As usual your remarks are spot on and extremely helpful. I definitely agree with what you've said here and I think you've shown me what I need to do to take this one off my headache list. LOL Thanks again!

Legal Stuff

All works posted here are under the sole and exclusive ownership of the author or artist. Do not reproduce or otherwise copy any work on this site without the expressed written consent of the author or artist.

§ P.B. Adams, Webmaster